Hewlett-Packard is committed to protecting the privacy of our customers who use HP Software Update. The data collected from your computer by the HP Software Update program will be used to determine if an update is needed and will not be used to track individual customers or computers. No personally identifiable data such as name, address, or e-mail address will be collected. The data collected may be used in anonymous and aggregate form for purposes of market research and to allow Hewlett-Packard to improve the quality of its product and service offerings. This data may be retained for a period of up to 5 years from the date of the last data transfer to Hewlett-Packard and will be sent to a Hewlett-Packard entity that may be located overseas. The IP address of the sending computer will be used for transmission purposes only. Any transmitted serial numbers will be used only to help determine if an update is needed.
The information collected by HP Software Update includes the following:
- Operating system name
- Amount of computer memory
- Internet Explorer version number
- Language setting
- List of installed printers and printer drivers
- List of installed software applications and versions
- List of installed USB devices
- List of installed imaging devices
In order to improve the HP Software Update program, HP also tracks how many downloads of software updates were attempted and how many updates were successfully installed. This data is tracked anonymously. No unique identifiers are attached to customer data by HP Software Update.
If you wish to turn off HP Software Update follow these instructions:
- Click Start
- From the Programs menu, click the HP or Hewlett-Packard group.
- Click the HP Software Update shortcut. This will start the HP Software Update program.
- In the HP Software Update window, click the Configure button or link.
- In the Configure menu, you can change how often the HP Software Update program checks for updates.
- To completely disable HPSoftware Update, choose the button titled "Never".